16 August 2008
- It's a broken record, but no serious injuries. This is the best news we could hope for from the final day of fall camp. Leigh Tiffin has a tired leg, Charlie Higginbotham has a sore groin and Josh Chapman has a "mild knee sprain", but we are still free of any real limiting injuries from contributors.
- Today's scrimmage was "more game-like". Assistants were in the press box and kicking situations were handled "as they came up".
- Julio Jones was clearly the star of the last scrimmage of fall camp, dragging in 5 catches for 125 yards and a touchdown. These were by far the best numbers for any of the receivers.
- John Parker Wilson had another great day - this time no picks. He threw for 255 and 2 TDs and 0 interceptions. Saban called him "precise". Mike McCoy was also singled out as having created "big plays". Greg McElroy is still second, but Star Jackson is right there with the next group. Nick Fanuzzi and Thomas Darrah are both still competing for third team.
- Chris Jordan is now working at linebacker. Not a real surprise considering the depth at running back.
- The first team linebacker corps featured Cory Reamer at the SAM linebacker and Donta Hightower at the WILL linebacker. Saban termed this as an "experiment". This means moving Eryk Anders to second team.
- Anders responded by accumulating 2 sacks and a blocked field goal. Maybe he's not ready for second team just yet.
- Brandon Deaderick had a huge scrimmage, amassing FOUR sacks and five tackles. That's the sort of thing that make me feel much better about the defensive end position.
- Despite lackluster numbers, Saban singled out Mark Ingram as running well. He has "the juice to make big plays" according to Saban.
- The Tide defense performed well against the run - especially important as Alabama faces a huge rushing attack from Clemson in less than 2 weeks.
- Terrence Cody is impressive, but "needs to continue to work on his conditioning". Not surprising for a guy who goes 375+. Saban woud like him to lose another 10 pounds, but he's "making a contribution to the defense in the middle - especially in run downs".
|< Prev||Next >|