04 August 2008
- No injuries again today. There were a couple of injuries yesterday that cropped up late. One to walk-on Offensive Lineman Adam Fuller, a broken finger, will require surgery. He wasn't expected to contribute, though that won't ease his pain any. We wish him a quick recovery. Chris Jackson got banged up a little yesterday and in was in a no contact jersey today, though his injury is not expected to be serious.
- Darius Hanks was still in his black no contact jersey, though that isn't expected to continue much longer.
- Josh Chapman may have already passed returning starter Lorenzo Washington on the depth chart at Nose Guard. If that holds to be true and Terrence Cody is ready to play, Washington could still make the move to Defensive End.
- Courtney Upshaw made the move out to JACK Linebacker, where it was anticipated that he would start camp. Brandon Fanney is still the 1st string guy here, with Alex Watkins backing him up.
- That move caused Charlie Kirschman to move to the SAM position, though he is not likely to crack the rotation at either position. Chavis Williams is still #1 here with Eryk Anders #2.
- Freshman Tyler Love, who had been practicing at Right Tackle made the flip to Left Tackle. That's not much of a shock as I would imagine the coaches would love to have him learn both positions. He is still wearing the extra brace on his right leg.
- Baron Huber has remained at Fullback, indicating the possibility that the Tide may look at more 2-back sets with a true Fullback. Most of the 2-back sets that we have seen have had Travis McCall lined up as an H-Back. This move might indicate that Huber was not adjusting well to the WILL Linebacker position.
- The starting Offensive Line unit has remained the same since the end of spring practice - Beginning at Left Tackle - Andre Smith, Mike Johnson, Antoine Caldwell, Marlon Davis, Drew Davis. The shakeups have come on the second unit, with Scott Deaton, David Ross, Evan Cardwell, William Vlachos, Taylor Pharr.
- Mark Ingram continued to impress, and may be working his toward more playing time. He is getting reps with the 1st team, along with Terry Grant, Glen Coffee & Roy Upchurch. My guess is that Grant & Coffee will carry the heavy load, with Ingram & Upchurch battling it out for the 3rd spot, which should see some carries each game.
- Julio Jones & B.J. Scott continued to impress, with both guys getting regular turns in the receiver rotation. It still looks as though the starting group would be Mike McCoy & Earl Alexander with Darius Hanks lining up in the slot. I don't expect McCoy & Hanks to be challenged (unless Hanks' health continues to be an issue), but Jones & Alexander will likely battle things out for the rest of the camp.
- Tomorrow's practice will be the first for the team in full pads. Hopefully the Tide's injury luck will remain the same when things get more physical.
|< Prev||Next >|