28 April 2011
Tuscaloosa was hit hard by a huge tornado last night. This much you know.
I'm glad to say that the BSR family is doing well. Neither of us have power, but I'm squatting at a friend's house to post this, get showered, charge the phone and then head out to volunteer.
How can you help? See the information after the jump.
If you are in Tuscaloosa:
- Volunteers are being accepted starting at noon at St. Matias Episcopal Church. It's located on Skyland, across the street from Wal Mart. They'll be accepted until dark today, then again Friday and Saturday from 9:00 am until dark.
- The SGA is also collecting volunteers at the Student Recreation Center, across the street from the softball complex. The Rec is also home to a shelter for UA students with nowhere else to go.
- The Belk Activity Center at Bowers Park is a shelter for the general public.
- Earlier, it was reported that both shelters needed donations - including pants, undergarments, and food.
- The Tuscaloosa News says other volunteers can contact Nancy Green at 205-561-4169.
If you're not in Tuscaloosa, you can donate $10 to the American Red Cross by texting REDCROSS to 90999 or visit the Red Cross web site.
Do what you can for those in need.